Monday, June 21, 2010

Four Questions

There are a lot of thoughts swirling around in my head about making the transition to four children. But these are my top four. So far, my easiest transition has been to three. Not sure how going to four is going to go. Any moms out there with four kids, your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Four Questions about Transitioning to Four Kids

1. How in the world am I going to nurse with three boys running around? I've definitely thought that with the addition of each child but my third little boy is pretty active so I've really had this one on my mind. I've always read to the kids or played with them while nursing but Joshua is hard-pressed to sit for much time at all. We've been working on it for awhile because it's very important for children to learn to sit, but he still really struggles. And babies nurse SO much in the beginning so, I'm really curious how that's all going to work out. I'll just have to learn as I go.

2. How do I stay consistent with discipline and training? I feel like it's been hard for me to be consistent with three. At least much harder than with one or even two. I've really had to work at being on top of my littlest one. I'm wondering how to add another one and still do a good job in this area. I wish I was an octopus and had 8 arms. That would really help. But since I don't, I'll have to rely on sheer determination and a healthy dose of perseverance. God's strength will have to be my foundation for sure.

3. How do I give each child the attention they need? I think every mom asks herself this question regardless of how many children are in the house. It's a normal thing. However, I know I'm about ready to be divided into even smaller pieces and so I'm going to have to work harder at making sure everyone is getting their needs met. I don't know how this will all play out but I do know that I'm made for this. As a woman, God has literally made me to do this job. So in light of that knowledge, I can have my confidence placed in Him and how He's made me and not in my own skills. I'm sure I'll come up short often but, that's when God's grace will have to cover me and continue to teach me how to give more and more of myself. Because in essence, that's really what will be happening for the most part...I'll just continue to learn how to give more of my life away. And really, that's okay. I can't think of anything else I'd rather be giving my life to anyway.

4. How do I keep my husband my first priority? If I'm thinking about how I'm going to meet all of my children's needs, it definitely begs the question that I'm thinking even more about still being the wife that Steve needs first. It's so easy to deal with the immediate (the children) and forget that he's there as well, working hard and pouring himself into all of us. I've learned a few things as we've had the last couple that I believe have helped him still feel like he's the most important one in my life (because he definitely is). But I've got to keep those thoughts at the forefront of my mind. I don't know how to pull this off and I'm sure it'll be a transition. But another thing I do know that is so encouraging, is that this transition will just be a season and soon enough, we'll have our evenings back, our room back to ourselves and after a long day, we'll be able to unwind together. And those are the things that keep us going.

So these are a few questions that I'm sure will work themselves out--I'm just not quite sure how. But I know God will care for us and guide us. He always has and always will.

Only four days left.

1 comment: