Thursday, June 17, 2010
8 Favorite Things
I have so much to be thankful for. And in fact, I'm really trying to cherish these last days with my family as a family of five. So in honor of Day 8, you can have a taste of 8 of my favorite things right now.
1. One of my favorite things is that these sleepyheads greet me every morning. Seeing their tousled hair and sleepy eyes starts my day off right...I love walking into their room every morning to greet them (unless it's an usually early morning-like before 6 am but that doesn't happen too often).
2. Thursday morning donuts is one of my favorite things right now. Steve meets his Dad for coffee and donuts quite early every Thursday and Grandpa always sends home a donut for each of the boys. I love that I don't have to worry about breakfast and everyone else benefits from the arrangement. And even though I tell Steve to please NOT pick-up a donut for me, I do get a few bites off of the boys' so that makes me smile too.
3. One of my favorite things is seeing how excited the two older boys are about having a baby sister. They really like feeling her move and kick. This is the first pregnancy that I've been able to involve the kids in. Before, they just weren't old enough to understand. Now, it's a mystery and wonder to them and I love watching that. As for Josh, well he just likes pulling my shirt up, patting my belly and saying "baby". That's about the extent of it for him. But it's still cute though.
4. All right...I'm not going to lie. One of my favorite things is getting a Minute Maid Light Lemonade from Safeway when I have to go to the grocery store. It doesn't have any caffeine, has very few calories and just tastes refreshing. Good thing I don't live that close to the store or I'd be tempted to go more often. Right now, I probably get one once a week and it always feels like such a splurge.
5. So even though everyone's kinda been a little crazy this week, Isaac and Caleb have been saying some pretty funny things. So their comments lately have been one of my favorite things. Here are a few examples:
Last night before drifting off to sleep, Caleb informed me that in the morning, if there were any bad guys or pirates, he would save me. He also reminded me that he had 100 big guns and 100 little guns and they had a lot of "stuff" (namely "blood pokes") in them. And that as a back-up, he had swords too. Wow...I'm feeling pretty safe. Thanks buddy.
I mentioned to Isaac that he was almost five years old and was SO big. Very matter-of-factly he said to me, "Yeah mom. Everyday I just keep eating and eating and eating and so that makes me grow bigger and bigger and bigger. If I keep eating so much, I'll be as big as Dad." That one made me laugh out loud. They've been making me laugh a lot lately.
6. One thing I'm very, very thankful for is the outpouring of love our family has experienced over the last few weeks. I'm not going to remember everything (so please forgive me) but here are some highlights and things people have done to bless us. We really have wonderful friends and family.
-One of my friends has been helping me catch up on my ironing by taking four shirts for me a week for the past month. I didn't want to let her do it but she insisted. I'm happy to say that I finally caught up this weekend. She's also helped me change the sheets on my boys' bunk bed because there's NO way I can take them on and off now, especially off the very top.
-A few friends have offered/brought meals to me in the last week which has been a HUGE lifesaver for me (remember the hotdogs and mac n cheese?)
-One friend called me last night to just encourage me and tell me that she loves me and that I'm doing great. Such a blessing. It meant so much to me.
-My Mom always comes weekly to see the boys but has been extra attentive and helpful with all sorts of things. Both of my parents helped me two weeks ago too when Steve went out of town. I love you guys!!
-My in-laws have also been a huge help! They watched the boys for our last date. And when I had to take Joshua in to get his leg x-rayed, Steve's mom met me there, helped me with the kids and then took Josh to get his x-ray since I couldn't do it (pregnancy). I usually don't mind taking the kids to the doctor but this appointment was soooo long and I'm soooo large/slow it was very nice having her there! Thanks Grandma!
-One of my friends brought me a dozen roses today, just because. And they're so beautiful.
-Seriously, I could go on...people have been blessing us left and right. Thanks everyone!!
7. One of my favorite things is that it's summer. And this is pretty much the scene at our house. The boys go outside after nap/quiet time and "water" the garden. They usually get so wet that we strip them down and they come to dinner in their underwear. Then, they wrestle with Dad which always involves hilarious costumes and weapons for all three of them. Most nights they get a bath and then Steve reads The Chronicles of Narnia before they drift off to sleep. Can't beat that summer schedule. Watching it all is one of my favorite things.
8. But really, most of all, my favorite thing is this amazing man. He is such a gentle rock, a servant leader and a tender tower of strength. He works SO hard to keep us all well provided for and has been balancing teaching summer school, an intensive Geometry grad-school class, a very pregnant wife and three small boys. He does it with class, patience, gentleness, strength and tenacity. Eight years in, I love him more now than ever.
These are a few of my favorite things.