Wednesday, March 14, 2012

An Englishwoman'sTribute to "Pi" Day


About midday today I realized, after seeing many people posting on Facebook about it, that today is Pi Day. I hadn't even thought about it, let alone made any preparations to celebrate it. Celebrate Pi Day, you say?!! March 14th...3.14....

I know, I know...I'm a Lit Major people. I only went through Calculus 1 at Cal Poly. That was enough for me. I like reading and writing. That is my forte. But as you know, the husband is a Mathy...a true savant. Ha! So, to bring a smile to his face, I decided to make him a pie-for Pi Day.

Here were the conditions, I had to have all the ingredients and it had to be super easy because I didn't decide to make this particular pie until lunchtime. And it's Cookie/Brownie Sale Day. I had already baked all morning and was going to be on my feet until bedtime...I wasn't into anything complicated at this point. I also needed to feed the kids lunch and I was starving myself.

Anyhow, I quickly perused my trusty Hot Providence cookbook looking in the index of the dessert section for anything ending in the word pie.

And I came across a recipe for Frozen Peanut Butter Pie.

All right people, it was a total on the fly decision and it turned out really good! It tastes like a Butterfinger Ice Cream bar or something like that. Next time, I'd add more peanut butter and I'd put chocolate sauce/ganache on the top but other than that, it was an EASY peasy thing to make. And on most occasions, I could reach inside my fridge and find all that I needed.

So, I may not be a math connoisseur, but I can bake (or in this case assemble). And that is how we English folk honor the Math folk on Pi Day.

Frozen Peanut Butter Pie
For My Husband-The Mathy

1 Oreo Cookie Crust (Processed Oreos with some butter...press into pie pan and freeze)
1/3 cup peanut butter (I'd go with 1/2 c. and increase from there if you want the flavor stronger)
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup milk
4 oz room temperature cream cheese
8 oz cool whip (I used 8 oz of whipping cream which I whipped-important, because it was what I had)

While crust is freezing, put first four ingredients into blender or food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Gently fold whipped cream into mixture. Pour into chilled pie crust. Let freeze for at least 5-6 hours. When ready to serve, let sit out for 10-15 minutes to soften. Eat before it melts!!

Everyone loved it. Steve was happy. And after some inquiry from the boys into what the number Pi is, Steve got to explain one aspect of the number and how it relates to every circle.
Fun, fascinating and it filled our bellies. Hope your Pi Day was just as festive.

No comments:

Post a Comment