Saturday, April 3, 2010

Just Not Perfect

I know that this is the most important time in the year for Christians, being that it's Easter tomorrow, and that I should be ready. But I'm not. I usually do so much more to prepare my home, myself, my family and especially my children for the celebration of Christ's Resurrection. But I haven't.

To be honest, I'm disappointed in myself. I can make a ton of excuses like, I'm pregnant with my fourth, have a lot of little kids, etc...but really, when is life ever going to be easy for me to get these things done? I have to make a commitment to get things accomplished. I can't let my circumstances get in the way.

Usually, we've read through the Easter story from Matthew at least once by now, we've made a play dough mountain that depicts the crucifixion scene and the children have an idea of what's going on. This year we've made it to Judas' betrayal and the two oldest know that Peter cut off someone's ear (I think that was their favorite part--the swords). However, we haven't gotten to the cross...which is the most important part of the WHOLE story. After dinner tonight, I'm hoping to get there.

This morning my littlest woke up with a fever and has been literally sitting in my lap all day so my hopes for getting some things done last minute are flying fast out the window. And we may not get to participate in the family Easter party due to him being sick.

Maybe this year, God is trying to remind me that perfection just isn't what gets us to Him anyway. I want to celebrate God's triumph over sin. I want to make effort to show my family what's important and doing demonstrative things with children really helps them understand. Yet, sometimes it just doesn't work and I guess this year, that's God's lesson to me. I'm just not perfect. I can't always pull it all off. It's really about Christ and about His perfect sacrifice for us anyway, not about my plans.

And wasn't it the fact that I'm not perfect the whole reason for the crucifixion and resurrection...which is why we celebrate Easter in the first place? Maybe I just needed that reminder this year. It's simple. Christ died for me, and for us, because we're sinners--we're not perfect and He rose for us for the same reason. We don't have to do anything to get to God. Christ did it all. And that my friends, is the glory of the gospel.

O the deep, deep love of Jesus, Vast unmeasured, boundless, free!
Rolling as a mighty ocean, In its fullness over me!
Underneath me, all around me, Is the current of Thy love;
Leading onward, leading homeward, To thy glorious rest above.

O the deep, deep love of Jesus, Spread His praise from shore to shore!
How he loveth, ever loveth, Changeth never, nevermore!
How he watches o'er His loved ones, Died to call them all His own;
How for them He intercedeth, Watcheth o'er them from the throne!

O the deep, deep love of Jesus, Love of every love the best!
'Tis an ocean full of blessing, 'Tis a haven giving rest!
O the deep, deep love of Jesus, 'Tis a heav'n of heav'ns to me;
And it lifts me up to glory, For it lifts me up to Thee.

Samuel Trevor Francis, 1875

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Nikki, for reminding us! Peter and I watched The Passion last night after we came home from the Good Friday service and I was reminded again, just how much I owe to Him - my time is my own now with our empty nest, but my problem is too MUCH time on my hands to fritter away. I never seem to finish a project - I literally have a project going in two different rooms and right now I am taking a break from "deep cleaning" our bathroom :P God bless you, sweetie and I KNOW He will bless you tomorrow even if you are home with your sick little one or if he gets better and they all DON'T wear matching shirts or even have clean faces!!! Hugs to all! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete