Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Who's Coming For Dinner?


My husband is very social and I guess I am too. As a result, one thing Steve loves to do is have people over to our house for dinner. When we were first married, we lived on a shoestring budget while both finishing up at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. Even so, I learned very quickly that my husband liked to entertain no matter how much money we had. Whatever we had, he wanted to share it. It was hard for me at first since we didn't have much and I didn't always know where and how we were going to feed the people he brought home. Nevertheless, we always did and it is something that I've grown accustomed to over the years. In fact, I would say that I really do enjoy it...most of the time that is.

Our pastor frequently says that change will happen as Christians invite others to be a part of their lives and that the best place to start is around the table. The lost will be saved...around the table. Relationships, and families will be built and if need be, restored...around the table. The church will be reformed...around the table. Our children will learn to have manners, think critically, laugh and be generous...around the table. In the craziness of life amidst all of the activities, school schedules, and work schedules, you can make time to sit your family down once a day around your kitchen table and build relationships. Start there. Then branch out to others. Make it work. Feed the children first if you have to, but have them sit down with Dad there, when he gets home, so that you can all be together as a family. It is so important.

Isaac frequently asks me, "Mommy, who's coming over for dinner tonight?" Our children are watching and this is a question I want to be asked. It keeps me extending invites...it keeps me giving. I'm very thankful my husband set-up this lifestyle for our family many years ago because this type of hospitality has not come easily to me. I've had to learn and I'm still learning as I stumble along. But as I've grown accustomed to my husband's generous ways, I've learned to be spontaneous and cheerful (most of the time) and creative with what's in my refrigerator. It's gotten to be a challenge and tons of fun.

Sometimes I hear women with young children lamenting that they never get a chance to minister outside the home anymore due to their current responsibilities. Although this is true during this season of life, we can make the most of it in other ways. We don't have to go anywhere. We can ask people in. And we should delight in this. God has also given us many other ways to minister inside our home but this is just one way and it's important.
I hope to post regularly about how to actually make this happen in practical terms. Of course our lives aren't all the same and we all have dirrerent strengths and weaknesses but we can do this. Determine to start with your own and ask God to bring the wayward, the tired and the hungry knocking on your door. As women, we must learn to extend God's love in this way.

"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me....Then the righteous will answer Him saying, "Lord when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?...And the King will answer them, "Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me."

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love getting a piece of your life through your writing and pictures. It is a goal of mine this summer that our family could join yours for dinner - with our homegrown veggies! I love you and your heart that God is continually molding and turning to look to Him, yet serve others.

    ReplyDelete