Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Three Dozen Eggs

"My cup overflows..." Psalm 23:5

Yesterday God gave me yet another glimpse of how He loves to bless His children and it was such a sweet experience for me. Here's some background. I love to bake. I love to make pretty much anything and one ingredient that is pretty much essential to most baked goods (and many other things as well) is eggs. And like many families in today's society we live paycheck to paycheck, with a savings of course, but we really try and stay within our budgets for gas, groceries, etc...Don't get me wrong. My husband is an excellent provider and works SO hard for us. But we do have three children and we live on one income, so we must be very wise with our money and exercise as much self control as we can. We also really desire to be good stewards of what we've been given. I'm not saying we always are but we try.

Anyway though, after last weekend and the different barbeques and events, I had used up all of my eggs and I had no money to buy more. Normally that's okay but I had a week to go until payday and not a TON of food left and when you're trying to make dinners out of what is left in your fridge, eggs really come in handy! A few times over the weekend I struggled a bit with what to make because I knew it was going to take eggs and I wanted to save them. Yet I knew I was being selfish and that I needed to just let go. We could go a week without eggs. And really, we're not starving at all. My freezer is packed full of stuff. It's just nice to have eggs on hand.

Yesterday morning one of my neighbors (who is a good friend) called to see if I wanted to go on a walk. This is an almost daily occurrence. I usually hear from her and one of my other neighbors sometime in the morning to see what we're doing for the day. Now that my sister-in-law Katie lives out here, I get to hear from her a lot more too. Anyway though, I digress. At the end of the conversation, my friend suddenly said that someone had dropped off a whole flat of eggs from Costco at her house, that she could only use a few, and thought I'd want some. Ummm...YES! Last night I stocked away three dozen eggs into my fridge and just thanked the Lord for His sweet little gift to me. It wasn't necessary for me to have them but yet so wonderful to see how God blesses us with little things.

"Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap or gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?" Matthew 6:26

No one knew we were out of eggs. I hadn't even mentioned it to my husband. I had a short conversation with God about how I'd love to have some eggs and He provided in total abundance. I'm not saying God does this all the time, but isn't it just so wonderful when He does?! It reminds me that even my little cares don't go unnoticed by a loving and infinite God. Pretty amazing. Pretty wonderful. I'm thankful that's the God I serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment