Saturday, April 9, 2011

Saturday is for Showering


Such a fun week it has been here at our home! We've done all sorts of busy things but one of the main ones was to plan for a shower today. In our community there are always LOTS of babies being born...as in once a few come along, another three or four announce a pregnancy. So we have baby showers a lot. It's really fun because even though most of the babies born aren't first babies, we still go all out to celebrate because life is life. A blessing is a blessing whether it is first or not. And frankly, we love to celebrate.

So today was a day to honor two moms at our church. One already had her baby girl a few weeks ago (number five for that family and second girl) and the other is due anytime with a baby girl as well (number 3 and the only girl). For both families it is extremely special that they are having girls. So in true TCC fashion, we all put our talents together to celebrate these two families.

My friend Allison is just the best at throwing a party. So she was the brain child behind the event. She's amazing. I wish I had her eye. She knows how to take anything and make it beautiful. And that's what she did. She went with a butterfly theme and hung butterflies all over her house. It was gorgeous.

I was in charge of food but really, I had the easiest job of them all because everyone at our church is gourmet and makes the best food. I hardly had to lift a finger. I simply organized everyone and they did the rest. The one thing Allison wanted at this brunchy shower was waffle sticks...homemade waffles cut into strips and then dips like maple syrup, strawberries and whipped cream. Amazing and so cute.

This is a picture sans waffles...they were crisping in the oven but it's a better shot of the adorable little cups of maple syrup. Such a fun idea.

It was a delectable feast with enough food to feed an army--seriously. There were some happy husbands after the party let me tell you.

My little Elliana had the best time crawling all over the place and "talking" to anyone who would listen. I have to just tell you, once I got her all dressed up for the party, we went outside to say goodbye to the boys who were working in the yard readying things for our soon-to-be-planted garden. It was the most wonderful feeling taking her with me to the party. We said "Bye boys!! Girls together!" And I couldn't stop grinning.

I love having a daughter. I love that we can go to showers together even when she's still so little. There were a lot of other babies there too. This precious mom and friend just had her first girl out of five! We're kindred spirits I tell you. Little Betty is a doll. She also supplied us with the yummy waffles.

And isn't this the most beautiful girl ever? This little one is her mom's first and I just can't get over how pretty she is!!

I got to make a favorite little treat...Mousse Bites. My sister-in-law gave me the recipe awhile back and they're just so pretty and yummy for a shower.

There were amazing scones, egg dishes, muffins, fruit, a flourless torte that looked like it came from a bakery. Yeah, our pastor's wife made that. I'm surrounded by such amazing talent! Seriously, we were spoiled!

But there was good reason. Every Saturday night we speak Psalm 127-128 around our table...our boys know them by heart.

"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward." Psalm 127:3

"Your wife will be like a fruitful vine within your house; your children will be like olive shoots around your table. Behold, thus shall the man be blessed who fears the LORD." Psalm 128:3

Baby Zoey and baby Gretl...we love you. Your life is a blessing.

So Saturday is for showering...children are a blessing, a blessing indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment