Saturday, October 2, 2010

Happy Autumn Sabbath

"Summer's loss seems little, dear, on days like these." Ernest Dowson

There is something in the autumn
That is native to my blood-
Touch of manner, hint of mood;
and my heart is like a rhyme,
With the yellow and the purple and
The crimson keeping time.

The scarlet of the maples can shake
Me like a cry
Of bugles going by.
And my lonely spirit thrills
To see the frosty asters like a
Smoke upon the hills.

There is something in October
Sets the gypsy blood astir;
We must rise and follow her,
When from every hill of flame
She calls and calls
Each vagabond by name.
-Bliss Carman

Delicious autumn!
My very soul is
Wedded to it, and if I were a
Bird I would fly about the
Earth seeking the successive autumns.
-George Eliot

No comments:

Post a Comment