Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Constant Dripping


Autumn is settling in nicely around these parts and Winter will be hard on its heels. Since we don't get major differences in seasons here, I have other ways of being able to tell that the seasons are changing. One of them, unfortunately, is none other than the common cold. We've had a few come through the house already. I do love the cooler months but I don't particularly care for colds.

One of the reasons is this...the constant dripping. It seems to go on forever! The pesky dripping is about enough to drive me nuts on some days. Lately I feel like at least one of my boys is dripping which makes me feel like it has been going on for weeks now. This morning God gave me a little word picture (who says motherhood doesn't involve your brain?) that easily applied right to my daily life of endlessly wiping noses and I was reminded again and convicted.

Proverbs 19:13 "A foolish son is his father's ruin, and a quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping."

Proverbs 27:15 "A quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping on a rainy day..."

Drip...drip...drip...drip...wipe...drip...drip...drip...are you annoyed yet? It never stops. No matter how much you wipe it up, it always comes back and keeps dripping. The maintenance, monotony and mucous create a literal muddled mess.

How often can my restless and quarrelsome spirit create an emotional and spiritual mess for my hubby? Do I really want to be like a snotty, nasty, dripping, stuffy nose to my husband? I've never thought about it like that before but for some reason today, that was the word picture in my head. No real incidence prompted the analogy...just lots of nose wiping. I guess it was time for me to be reminded yet again not to merely look out for my own interests.

No...I don't want to be that mess. I want to be this:

Proverbs 16:24 "Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."

Lord, give me words. Let them be pleasant. Let them be sweet. Let them heal and soothe. Let them be like honey.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great words and scripture. I don't want to be that drippy stuff either.

    Please pass the tissue!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete