Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Old Fashioned Invention


So I started out my week like any other, with many, many piles of laundry. It never ceases to amaze me how many dirty clothes get racked up during the week and I still run the washing machine a few times over the weekend after my initial laundry overhaul is done on Monday and Tuesday. Nevertheless, I haven't quite gotten to the point where I have to wash every day so I can be thankful. However, back to the story, I got halfway through my laundry mania and noticed that a load didn't get dry. I thought I'd forgotten to turn the dryer on. I hate it when I do that because then the clothes in the washer sit and have to wait for the dryer and I lose precious time. So, inwardly, I chastised myself for forgetting to turn on the dryer and turned the dryer on. Done. On to the next thing. I checked it later, and it still wasn't dry--at all! Oh no! I quickly came to the conclusion that the dryer must be broken.

When Steve came home, he took a look at it. He's pretty savvy with fixing things but dryers are a bit out of his league. By the way, you can ask his mom about a hair dryer he tried to fix when he was younger and how all of that turned out. But I'm digressing. He checked a few basic things and the dryer still didn't work so he told me to call the repair man. Meanwhile, I'm dreaming of getting a new washer and dryer. We always said that once these old ones gave out we'd buy front loaders. I was picking out the colors in my mind and everything when I suddenly realized that new washer and dryer or not, I still had two very wet loads that needed to get dried and they needed to get dried now before they got all moldy. What to do?


That's when I had a blast from the past and remembered something that most woman used to use all of the time to get their clothes dry before the conventional dryer--the clothesline. With fierce determination, I searched through my husband's tools and found some sturdy rope and his trusty hammer. When the hammer came out, my boys instinctively ran for their tools and then looked at me quizzically like "Mom, you're going to fix something?" I assured them that this fix-it job was very feminine and that mom was going to make herself a clothesline. Reassured, off to the backyard they trekked to help find the perfect spot to hang it. The clothesline was up in a flash and my clothes were hung up before I knew it. And you know what, it felt good. The sun beat down on me as I hung them up, and it really, truly felt good, comfy and homey. I wondered if this was how my grandmother felt when she hung out her family's clothes to dry--just plain simple but in a cleansing sort of way! (I know, I know, I'm really a romantic) And not only did it feel good but it worked great as well. Within twenty minutes, they were all dry (although a bit crunchy) and I thought, I really could get used to this.

Since we're the cheapest people ever, frugal is a nice euphemism to describe us, we'll probably just get our old dryer fixed, especially since the washer still works. Although someday I'm sure to get those amazing front loaders. Good thing the repair man said it wouldn't cost too much. But until it's fixed, I think I'll be just fine. I've got my clothesline, the hot sun, some clothespins and a dose of good old fashioned invention to get me through. The only thing I have to remember is that our house is located right next to the senior parking lot....so that means, if I love my husband and don't want to make him the talk of the school, I must remember...no bras, and no underwear!

5 comments:

  1. Clotheslines are awesome. I love ours. I want to use it more, frankly, but we have an allergy problem and our line is right in the middle of the "wildflowers" (weeds) that make us sneezy.

    Good for you being so industrious!

    That's so cute and sweet how your little guys all get their tools out to help Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That brings me back. You can stop laughing now. I was the one who hung out the laundry when I was growing up. I never had a dryer till I moved out of the house. But it was nice how things dried so well. When I visited my old neighbors in SLO, I met the lady who lived in my old house across the street. She invited me in and it was like crossing the threshold of time (sounds like a blog in the making here - speaking of digressing). Things looked the same except for the colors and there was a microwave and dishwasher - those two things we didn't have. I WAS the dishwasher. Grew up without all the conveniences of today. Anyway, as I went oustide, what a difference! Lots of greenery, a patio - BUT there was still a clothesline. Loved it. Give Steve a hug for me. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are too cute, and yes, I love my "romantic" friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read a story once how when everyone used clotheslines women had intense competition on whose whites were the brightest. Everyone in the neighborhood knew who still needed to learn how to remove stains!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, so glad i am moving.

    but seriously, one of the houses we looked at had a very old clothesline that was so cool. it had a pully and wheels that the lines ran over and a raised concrete platform to stand on when loading the line. i instantly fell in love with it.

    ReplyDelete