Tuesday, May 29, 2012

An Idea for Summer


Recently a sweet friend from church shared with me what she does for her kids once school has let out for the summer.  I thought it was so absolutely clever that I just had to share it with you.  Like most of us, this particular friend does a lot of organizing during the year for other things, so once school is out, she takes the time to put on a special little party for her own kids celebrating them finishing another year of school.  At this party they do some fun little things and eat treats, but the main goal is to make a list of all the fun things they want to do that summer.  Here's the brilliancy of the whole thing-not only does it get the kids excited about doing different activities, but it also provides a plan for those days when you just don't know what to do!!  Their list ranges from little things like going out for ice cream, going on bike rides, etc...to the bigger ones like camping in the backyard with Dad.  Whenever they accomplish one of their list items, they check it off.

Seriously people, this is so incredibly fun, simple and helpful.  And I loved it.  So, if it sounds like it would work in with your summer and be helpful, then go to it.  Sometimes the extra effort on the front-end saves so much stress on the other end.  Your list doesn't need to be followed to the T.  If you want to try it, just have fun with it.

Go eat ice cream.

Stick your toes in the sand.

Drag out the slip-n-slide (my kids have been begging for days now).

It takes effort to bless those little people but, that's a major part of our job.  In whatever way you can, make sure they know that you're not just putting up with them while they're on summer break but that you love to be with them (I know, I know, harder than it sounds at times and I struggle here too because I'm plain selfish).

Remember what it's like to be their age and have fun yourself!  I'm hoping that by having a plan to have fun, I'll be able to relax and enjoy the last couple weeks of pregnancy with a good attitude.

I'll let you all know how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment