Monday, October 14, 2013

Time to Fess Up

So for the past year, there's been a lot of silence on my blog.  It's not because I don't like blogging anymore at all.  In fact, there have been a lot of reasons for my prolonged absences.  One of the main reasons is lack of time.  I only have one consistent napper now.  My house is rarely quiet in the afternoon.  My older kids, who are not at school, do have a rest time but I am often still managing them at times and find their playtime to be some of the only "off" time my brain gets.  And then the biggest boys come home and want to tell me about their day.  So, my main writing time has shrunk.  Five kids has caught up to me!

But there have been other reasons.  One of them, pretty much the most important one, is that our family's future has been uncertain.  A lot of the goings-on, coupled with the many lessons I've been learning have been tied to these issues.  And I haven't had the freedom to write about them....yet.  I don't know, something about the whole world having access to our very personal matters just didn't seem wise so, I kept a lid on it.  

On purpose. 

But it's time to fess up.  

I won't be able to address the whole journey in one blog post because it's simply too large to document at once.  However, I hope to at least get the ball rolling.
Steve reading his acceptance letter to the kids.
The big news is this-we are moving.  We're not exactly sure when but it will be within the year.  Steve has been accepted to Colorado State's PhD in Mathematics program in Fort Collins, Colorado.  He has received funding and has also landed an internship with a national lab.  There are many unknowns still at this time but, we know that we are going.  

Now how we got to this point is QUITE a story.  And when I say, "quite" I really mean it.  It's been the perfect display of God's tender hand leading us.  There have been many disappointments along the way and lots of triumphs!  We are thankful for this opportunity and know that the adventure will far outweigh the difficulties (which will be many I am sure). 

The kids "celebrating.  Moving to the snow was big news to them.
Stay tuned.  I'll be posting the story in installments over the next few weeks.  It's been an amazing journey to get to this point.  I couldn't be more proud of my husband who has worked so hard for this.  However, we both know that none of this was our doing.  It is so much more than we deserve!  We give all glory to God!  He is the One who writes our story and we are so grateful for His many blessings.  We are humbled by this whole situation and are continually on our knees asking God to continue to provide in the little details, for there are many.  

Two verses that have been a constant assurance and encouragement to me for months are these:  

Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old.  Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?  I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.
Isaiah 43:19


Fear not, O Jacob my servant, Jeshurun whom I have chosen.  For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground.  I will pour my Spirit upon your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants.  Isaiah 44:3

We covet your prayers for our family during this time of unknowns and transition.  Yet something I know in depths of my heart is that God will be with us as we venture out and He will be there every step of the way.
An attempt to get a pic with all of them and the letter...fail.  But still hilarious.  We're taking our five kids and going to get a PhD.    Are we insane?  Who would've thought?? 
I am totally ecstatic and broken-hearted to leave, all at the same time.  Such a woman.  But more than that, I am caught up in my husband's God-given mission, and am so willing and ready to launch into another season of grad school as his wife, best friend, and help-meet.  I'm sure there will be many stories to tell along the way.  I hope you'll be ready to hear them.

To God be the glory!  Amen and amen.

3 comments:

  1. Nikki, you know you and your family are in my prayers every day, and it has been such a wonderful journey to see how God has indeed opened doors at every point along the way. And you and Steve are incredibly inspiring examples of faith because of how you trusted Him! Uncertainty is so hard to bear (for me at least), but you guys just walked through it and kept the faith. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Nikki!! I can't wait to hear the story. And Colorado! Our second-choice in states to live (after CA, of course). So beautiful. Congrats, Steve!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome Nikki and Steve! I look forward to the story your blogs will tell. Your faith is inspiring. God WILL be with you every step as you said.
    Will we be seeing you this weekend at Pismo? :)
    Love, Sonja

    ReplyDelete